Search This Blog

Saturday 26 December 2020

(19) PD clause: take care of head and limbs will follow

NB (19) above indicates the numerical order 

The past 

In December 2015, we travelled by cable car, into the mountains, in order to get to a monastery on Lantau Island, Hong Kong to see a giant buddha. While my wife and the grandchildren explored the nearby village, I sat waiting nearly an hour for the mist to lift so I could see the 34 metre high bronze buddha (picture below). The trees on either side of the buddha indicate its size and distance from my vantage point. What a view! It was worth the wait.  



The present

Parkinson's Disease (PD) has severely compromised my movement since 2013 and I have spent years searching for measures to ease the PD muscular lethargy. I use the word 'ease' as I wish to be realistic. As mentioned in previous posts, I have already used wrist weights, a monopod that doubles as a walking stick, a fiddle spinner, stress balls and small dumb bells. I've learnt to close my eyes to counter my muscle "forgetory" as my muscle memory is waning. 

In addition, I have developed a system of corrective messaging where I constantly tell my muscles what to do. I guess it's my attempt to conjure up virtual dopamine. One example is saying "toe-toe" - a contraction of a longer message for normal walking - when climbing up four flights of stairs to our third-floor apartment. In the past four months I have neither stumbled nor tripped and my unscarred shins will attest to that: success!

Opting for a drug-free approach to PD is taking The Pinky and the Brain way. Well, the Pinky in me decided eight months ago to try out the laser therapy in Durban and that has helped reset a large part of my brain. The next step was to review my decreasing mobility, especially during the lockdown. Enter the mini bike.


REVIEW: Threshold sports mini bike


Earlier this year I came across a stationary, motorised, exercise bike to help with arm and leg movement during the COVID-19 period when beach walks were not an option! The bike retailed for around R10,000 overseas. The cost bothered me so I searched for an alternative and found a few that are available in-store and online. I opted for one that cost around R2,000. 

The non-motorised, manually driven Threshold sports mini bike (in picture left) was delivered to my door by an online supplier a few weeks ago. It required a bit of assembly that took me over an hour due to weakening muscles (sigh!) but once complete it was perfect. 

It is 35cm high and 40cm wide so it may be placed under a desk or table for cycling using one's legs and one's arms and is easy to store. As it weighs just under 9kg it is relatively easy to lift onto a higher surface for cycling using one's arms. I have discovered that if it is on a solid surface about 40cm off the ground, it provides a challenging arm exercise while seated. The mini bike mechanism - a magnetic flywheel - is quiet and has 10 levels of resistance. Naturally, I am on level 1 and am managing between 10 and 20 minutes at a time. It is too soon to tell what effects it will have but it has been a major confidence booster. And being parkinsed means a gradual erosion of confidence, so...

An important feature of the mini bike is that I sit upright in a chair when I cycle. Years ago, when I used to go to a gym, sitting astride a stationary bike challenged my balance, and I felt compelled to hold onto the handlebar. However, when I am on the mini bike my back is supported, I am balanced perfectly, and I can do whatever I want to do with my hands and arms. 

Since retirement in December 2017 I have only been able to walk at supermarkets and large malls with the assistance of my walking stick or pushing a shopping trolley. Being able to cycle for 20 minutes without stopping has been an amazing experience. It is re-introducing the notion of coordination to my gradually weakening limbs and their muscles.     


Back to the future

On 04 January 2021 I will be back in the neurolaser clinic for therapy. I have also started reading Michael J. Fox's new book called No Time like the Future - I'll share some thoughts on that sometime in the future. 

2020 has "Mcflown" past, courtesy of COVID-19. I hope that you, dear reader, will continue to stay safe till 2021.

                                                    








1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, Ari.